domingo, 5 de junio de 2016

Stuck in the middle

One of the first things that caught my attention while reading Death of a salesman was the name of Willy Loman's sons: Happy and Biff. Yes, I forgot to tell you that I would write about Arthur Miller's play -bad Deadpool-, but now that I have explained so, we can move on -good Deadpool-. 

In the past, Biff was daddy’s pride and joy, he was in whom Willy Loman invested all his hope; he was a prominent and talented football player, his talent led him to be socially recognized, and socially recognized in the exact way that Willy Loman liked ; in other words, he was “well-liked”. When did Biff get biff?  If you haven’t read the play yet, please, do not read the following lines: When Biff noticed that his father was cheating on her mom, the virtuous Linda, the bubble in which the Lomans were living burst, leaving behind the image that Willy Loman sold to them up to this exact moment: 

"BIFF: Don’t touch me, you — liar!
WILLY: Apologize for that!
BIFF: You fake! You phony little fake! You fake! (Overcome, he turns quickly
and weeping fully goes  out with his suitcase. Willy is left on the floor on his knees.) 
WILLY: I gave you an order! Biff, come back here or I’ll beat you! Come back
here! I’ll whip you!" (Miller, 1949)

The truth is that Willy had already beaten Biff, he had been already whipped; without wanting so, Willy showed to Biff what reality was like. 

This episode guided Willy and Biff to a future that was full of discussions, and the beautiful relationship that they had once was just a distant memory. But they had another chance; Biff would do things the way that Willy wanted, and encouraged by this, Willy would ask Howard to work in New York. After this, they would have dinner together like in the good old times. As you know, nothing happened the way that it was supposed to; Willy got euphemistically fired and Biff did not even get the chance to ask for a loan to start the business he had in mind.  Now, it's time to face the truth, and again, things went out of hands:  

BIFF: His answer was — (He breaks off, suddenly angry.) Dad, you’re not
letting me tell you what I want to tell you!
WILLY (accusing, angered): You didn’t see him, did you?
BIFF: I did see him!
WILLY: What’d you insult him or something? You insulted him, didn’t you?
 BIFF: Listen, will you let me out of it, will you just let me out of it!
HAPPY: What the hell!
WILLY: Tell me what happened!
BIFF (to Happy): I can’t talk to him! (Miller, 1949)




Frankly, while I was reading the previous dialogue of the play, the first thing that came to my mind was the song "Stuck in the middle with you". It always caught my attention how happy this song sounds, even when it describes a difficult situation:

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.” (
Stealers Wheel, 1972)

For me, these verses describe almost exactly the situation that Biff faced in the restaurant; He’s stuck, and this time, Happy is alienating Willy from reality. The outlook can be reduced to an extreme despair, a despair that is almost ridiculous.

Sadly, Biff is not the only one that is stucked; Willy Loman has been stucked in the middle his entire life. In his case would be something like “Glory of the past to the left of me, brilliant future to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you”. Someone should have said “Carpe diem” to Willy Loman- and I’m afraid that at this point I’m sounding as empty as upsocl. Willy Loman would have loved to say this, I’m sure.

Well you started out with nothing,
And you're proud that you're a self made man,”  
(Stealers Wheel, 1972)

Don’t forget that he refused to work for Charley, and also he was obsessed with adversity:

“WILLY: ...was rich! That’s just the spirit I want to imbue them with! To
walk into a jungle! I was right! I was right! I was right!”(Miller, 1949)

I hate to say you were wrong, Willy Loman.

Finally, it was imposible for me to avoid thinking on Willy Loman while reading Gary Snyder’s “For the children”.

“In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it” (Snyder, 1974)

Willy Loman owned those valleys, he was able to make it. What’s the problem then? He noticed it when it was too late, when there was no chance to feel, touch and breathe the apogee again. No empire lasts for ever, Willy Loman. He and time ran side-by-side for a while, but later, time won the race and Loman refused to accept that fact. Please, leave your comments below. 


__________________________________________________________

References:

Miller, A. (1949). Death of a Salesman. Retrieved from: http://www.pelister.org/ 
            literature/ArthurMiller/Miller_Salesman.pdf

Snyder, G. (1974). For the Children. Turtle Island. Retrieved from: http://www.dro
pbox.com/home/Watchers_16/texts/Unit%202?preview=Beat+Generation+Texts.doc

Stealers Wheel. (1972). Stuck in the Middle with You. In Stealers Wheel [CD].
London: Apple Studio.


















1 comentario:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your comments on Death of a Salesman, I also read the play and I think Biff is a very interesting character on the play. At first we see him as failure but then we realized why he was such a failure and finally we see that he is a man of principles, he showed respect and love for his family. Willy Loman on the other hand, as you mentioned realised way too late that life gave him the chance of being a successful man but he missed the chance and "boxed" himself in this empty life he kept living, he became a bitter person, whose vision in life was narrow and selfish.
    In terms of the song I would have loved if you had gone a little further with the explanation, I get the point of it and I can relate it to Biff but in relation to William I would not say he's in the middle of anything, I'd say he's just obsolete and not wanting to adapt himself to his new reality, he's stuck but there's no future ahead, his stuck in his hopes and dreams but there's nothing to do about it. That's why he kills himself, in my humble opinion.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this play, it was very interesting to think about the dialogues you quoted again, and it's always enriching to know other people's point of view.

    ResponderEliminar